Email clients allow you to store the emails as small files on your computer’s hard disk.
If you use an email client, you won’t have the ability to access all of your emails on a different computer.
- A program for your computer
- Your emails are saved as files on your computer
- This is often used when you have an account with your broadband provider for email.
- You can only access your email from one computer
Email clients vs. webmail
This is in contrast to a webmail service such as Gmail, Outlook.com (previously known as Hotmail)
These webmail services allow you to access your emails online from any computer using a web browser.
Webmail is better than email clients. It’s more flexible and allows you to do more.
- Free email service
- Logging into your account in a web browser allows you to access it.
- Log in from any computer around the globe
- Compatible with tablets and smartphones
- You can switch broadband providers easily, and you can keep your email address.