The Best Free Email Providers [2021 Guide to Online Email Account Services]
Although this is great because there’s something for everyone it can cause some decision paralysis.
Here’s a list of the top free email services to help you choose the best one for you. We will look at their storage, the features they offer, and how they can help you.
These are the email services that we’ll be looking at in this article.
- Zoho Mail
- iCloud Mail
- Yahoo! Yahoo! Mail
- Hey, as a bonus – not for free, but still new
Let’s get started.
Gmail is one of the most popular and widely used email services. It is part of Google’s services suite, and it has many reasons why it is so popular.
Gmail is a great choice if you are looking for an email with many features and you love G-suite.
These are just a few of the amazing features.
- You can set up emails to be sent at a specific time, snooze them to ensure you don’t lose them, and personalize your notifications.
- Google Drive allows you to email large attachments (and you can save them there so that they don’t clutter your local computer).
- Smart compose, which is similar to auto-complete, can be used to speed up your email writing. You can also translate your message directly in Gmail (under three dots – “Translate messages”)
- You can use the reading pane feature to see both your inbox as well as the email you are reading simultaneously. Just go to Settings – Reading Pane and select the location you wish it to appear.
- Advanced search options are available by clicking the down arrow to the right of your search bar.
- You can search for emails by date, type before: date (like 2020/1/1), and it will search only those messages.
- Gmail is secure and allows you to send and receive money via email. You can also set expiry times for your messages and use the “Confidential Mode” feature.
- Other cool features: You can customize the time it takes to undo emails, set auto-advance through inbox (under Advanced tab in Settings), and drag email between tabs.
StorageGmail offers 15GB free storage. While that may sound like a lot of storage, it is only a fraction of the Google Photos, Google Drive, and other Google tools that you can use.
You might have to limit your email storage if you have many gigabytes worth of photos stored on your computer in Google Photos.
If you want to create a Gmail account, you can do so here.
Outlook is an excellent choice if you are looking for a powerful email system that can integrate with many business-friendly apps.
Although it’s not as easy to use as Gmail for email, you can do more with the program. Outlook is used by large corporations for email. It offers a robust calendar, task manager, and other customizable features.
These are just a few of Outlook’s best selling points.
- You can create new meetings/tasks/contacts right from your inbox (no switching windows involved).
- You can also share tasks with coworkers (like a task list) and your calendar can be shared with them.
- Outlook allows you to create your own rules, such as always sending emails from x folder to y, etc. You can customize the notifications and how you see your messages, such as changing the text color of x sender.
- If you need to send messages that don’t change often, you can easily create your own email templates. You can find out more.
- You can set up emails to arrive at a specific time and then snooze them so that you can still read them later.
- You can also create message alerts so you never miss a VIP email! Use flags and categories to organize your mail and keep track of important mail.
- It integrates easily with other Microsoft products. For example, if someone emails you a Word document as an attachment you can open it in Outlook.
- Drag and drop an email you have received from them into your contacts tab and it will be created for you.
- Sticky notes can be used as reminders. Just type Ctrl+Shift+N anywhere in Outlook’s interface and you’ll find your note.
- Outlook has its own version, called quick parts. This saves you time.
- You can also @mention people in a mass email to let them know it applies to them
Outlook is often described as a “feature-rich email” by many people. Now you can see why.
StorageOutlook offers 15GB storage for free, the same as Gmail.
Wait, Outlook and Hotmail are the same things?
It’s confusing. Here’s the short and long of it.
Microsoft purchased Hotmail in 1997 (yes that was a long time ago). After several iterations (MSN Hotmail and Windows Live Mail), they settled on Windows Live Hotmail in 2012.
This was also the time Microsoft launched Outlook.com, the final rebranding for Hotmail (name).
You can still use an email@example.com address. If you sign up for Outlook today, however, you will need to select an @outlook.com email address. Sorry, nostalgic email hopefuls.
Anyway, if you want to give Outlook a try, you can sign up here.
ProtonMail is an excellent option for users who don’t want hackers or organizations to view their email. Although it doesn’t offer the most secure security, it is sufficient for the majority of users.
ProtonMail, an open-source encrypted email provider, is based in Switzerland. It was brought to you by CERN – The European Organization for Nuclear Research.
Although it is not the only encryption option available, it is one of the most popular. Let’s find out why.
- ProtonMail’s encrypted email service is well-known (uses zero-access and end-to-end encryption standards to protect all email).
- You get one email address, 150 messages per day, 3 folders/labels, and limited support with the free plan
- Signing up for an account is free and you don’t need to give any personal information.
- It uses the fairly robust PGP encryption standards
- Open source is the web client, encryption algorithms, and iOS code.
- All your email messages will be removed from the IP address
- ProtonMail Bridge allows you to use it with other email programs (i.e. it can pull emails from other clients and let you import contacts from them).
- You can send messages that “self-destruct” after a certain amount of time
- It is possible to send encrypted emails to people who don’t use ProtonMail
- Address verification allows you to save your signed key in a digitally signed contract. Once it’s verified, the key cannot be altered. This replaces an earlier method that made encryption key management automatic and invisible for the user. This prevents Man in the Middle attacks
One important security point to remember is that the subject line and address information of your email is not encrypted. ProtonMail can give that information to authorities at any time, and they will.
StorageProtonMail’s free plan offers only 500MB of storage. If you require more storage and are prepared to pay for it, ProtonMail offers 3 paid plans with more features.