How to change the email address associated with your Facebook account
As the most popular social media network of all time, pretty much everyone is on Facebook these days. What started as a site for American university students – many of us remember when you had to have a valid .edu email address to sign up for the site – has become a site connecting more than 2.3 billion people worldwide as of early 2019.
Pretty much every part of your Facebook experience can be customized, including the email address you associate with your account. If you have that option enabled in your privacy settings, your email account will be used to log into Facebook as well as to allow other users to find you.
If you lose access to the email account associated with Facebook or simply wish to change your Facebook account to connect with a different email address altogether, doing so is a quick and easy process.
How to change your Facebook email address using a desktop computer
1. Navigate to Facebook with your internet browser and use your current email address.
2. After logging in, click on the downward-facing arrow at the top right-hand corner to open a drop-down menu of options. Click on “Settings” towards the bottom of this list.
3. You’ll find a section called “Contact Information” under your account settings. This is where you will see your primary email address. To edit your email address, click on the “edit” button. This will take you to a screen that allows you to add additional email addresses or phone numbers. To enter your new email address, click on the button.
4. After entering your new email address, hit the enter key on the keyboard and confirm your changes, you will be asked to enter your current Facebook password again. After you have completed the security step, Facebook will send a verification email with a link you need to click on to confirm that it is valid.
Facebook will send an email to confirm that your email address is real.
5. After you click the confirmation email validating that address, Facebook will set it as your primary contact. You can change this at any time by following the same steps as before to enter a new email address or selecting an old one.
How to change your Facebook email address via the Facebook mobile application
1. To open the Facebook app, locate it on your phone’s home screen and tap it.
2. To open the menu, tap the three horizontally stacked lines at the bottom right corner of the Facebook app.
3. Scroll down until you find the “Settings & Privacy” option. Tap it to open a sub-menu with additional account settings.
4. Clicking on the “Settings” option under the “Settings & Privacy” bar will bring you to a new screen that displays your account information including payment settings, preferred language, and personal information. This includes your email address. Click on “Personal information.”
5. To access your account’s email address management screen, click on “Email Address” in the personal information screen.
6. To add a new email address to your account, click on “Add Email Address”. Once you have entered it, click on “Add email address”. After entering the information, you will receive a confirmation email with a link that you must click to verify your account ownership.
7. After you click the confirmation email validating that address, Facebook will set it as your primary contact. You can change this at any time by following the same steps as before to enter a new email address or selecting an old one.