Wi-Fi extenders can be described as a device that increases the signal range for your Wi-Fi network. More precisely, it first connects to your Wi-Fi network and then literally doubles it – amplifies it and allows you to use Wi-Fi even in those places where it was not possible before.
It is important that it is placed in the correct place. It should be placed somewhere between the Wi-Fi router’s dead zone and the router. It should be placed near the router to ensure a connection, as well as close to areas that have previously been without Wi-Fi coverage. After you have chosen a suitable location for your extender to be synchronized with the router, turn it on and then locate the WPS button. First, press the WPS button on router. The next step involves connecting your device, in this case your smart TV, to the extender.
This article will show you how to connect a NETGEAR extender with a smart TV.
Advantages and disadvantages of Extenders
The extender won’t increase your internet speed, but it will slow it down. Its only role is the one that we’ve mentioned at the beginning of the text. The device is inexpensive and works with all routers, so it isn’t expensive to purchase a new one. It takes up very minimal space. Unfortunately, extenders can’t provide the same internet speed and bandwidth as your router.
How to check the Wi-Fi network settings of your NETGEAR Extender
Once you have successfully installed your extender, you can begin the process of connecting your devices – computers, phones, TVs, and more.
Check the extender’s settings first. This can be done by accessing the default interface. Before connecting the NETGEAR extender to your smart TV, be sure to note the 3 key settings of your NETGEAR Wi-Fi extender are: Wi-Fi Password, Network name – SSID, Wi-Fi Security Mode.
These steps will allow you to access the Wi-Fi network settings for the NETGEAR extension.
- The first thing you need to do is open an Internet browser on your computer.
- Use the browser to enter mywifiext.com and visit that page. If the page doesn’t open, make sure the router and extender have been properly connected.
- Now log in to your NETGEAR extended. For this, you will need the administrator name or password for the extender.
- Wireless must be selected
- You will need to adjust the configuration view to be able see the settings of your NETGEAR expander.
You need to make a note of the settings – write down your Wi-Fi password and SSID.
Option 1 – Connect your smart TV to Wi-Fi extender using Wi-Fi (WIRELESS CONNECTION)
- To turn on the TV, press the power button on your remote control.
- Now use the remote control and find the Menu or Settings button.
- The menu appears on your screen. Use the down- and up arrows to select Network and then press Ok in the middle, between arrows.
- Your TV will scan nearby Wi-Fi networks to show you a list.
- On the remote control, use the up and down arrows to find your extender’s Wi-Fi network (NETGEAR_EXT, for example).
- Click the OK button to confirm the selection of Netgear Extender network.
- A keyboard will be displayed on your TV screen. To access the extender, you will need the Wi-Fi password.
- By pressing the OK button, confirm your password.
- After entering the network password, click on the Connect option.
- That’s the end of the process – you’ve successfully connected your smart TV to the NETGEAR extender.
Option 2 – Connect your smart TV to Wi-Fi extender using an Ethernet cable (WIRED CONNECTION)
This option is easier and provides a more reliable connection. These speeds will be faster than the Wi-Fi connection. You will need an Ethernet port extender in order to connect your Wi-Fi extender the smart TV. An Ethernet port must also be available on your TV. Some smart TVs only allow wireless connections.
Next, open the Settings menu on your TV and select Network or Network settings to enable wired connections. Enter the Wi-Fi password using the remote. You will be connected within a matter of seconds if you click OK (or Connect).