TP-Link, a Chinese company, is based in Shenzhen. It’s been one of the largest manufacturers of network devices in the world for the last decade or two. It is well-known for producing routers and Wi Fi extenders.
The company was established in 1996. It currently employs approximately 22,000 people, has operations in nearly 180 countries and is believed to have hundreds of millions of customers.
The range of routers and extenders offered by TP-Link is continually growing and improving. This article is for you if you’re a TP Link extender user or plan to be one. We’ll show you how reset your Wi Fi extender.
What is a Reset?
Resetting allows you to delete all settings from the Extender and return them to their factory default settings. This can be applied to many devices in addition to extenders. It is usually very easy to do.
When reconnecting, you will need to use the default password after the reset. The default credentials will be found on the sticker at the back of the extender.
What is the best time to reset my TP-Link Range Extender
Before we start with the step-by-step guide, let’s see in what situations is resetting your range extender recommended:
- The only way to fix specific problems that arise from reasons you don’t know is to reset your TP-Link range extender. In most cases, the reset procedure will make your device as good as it was when it was new – without interference or problems.
- You can also reset your TP Link extender for technical reasons. This procedure can be used if you have forgotten your administrator password and username. You won’t be able access any settings or change them without these credentials. Resetting your device will allow the user to reconfigure the settings by using the default credentials.
How do you reset your TP-Link Extension?
We will demonstrate below how to reset your TP-Link Extension in two different ways.
If your extender has an on- or off-board reset button, you can use this method. These steps will allow you to reset your device using this method.
- First, ensure that your range extender has been turned on.
- Look for the reset button.
- Once you find it, you need to press the button and hold it for a few seconds (1 – 2 seconds).
That’s the whole process – your range extender has now been successfully reset to factory settings. Log in using the default credentials after the reset.
This second method is applicable to range extender models that do not have a reset button.
They do not have a reset option, but these models can still be reset. Follow these steps to reset your TP-Link extender if it doesn’t have a dedicated reset button:
- The small hole containing the reset button is hidden in the back of your device. Find it – it’s on the bottom/side/back of the device.
- Once you have located it using a pen, needle or other sharp object, press the reset button for 8-10 seconds.
- The lights on your extender will slowly turn on one at a time and then flash.
- If the extender restarts, you will know that it was successful and all settings have been restored.
After the reset, log in using the default credentials. These credentials can be found on the sticker at the back of your device or in the manual.
VIDEO TUTORIAL – How to Reset Your TP-Link Wi-Fi Extender
The reset procedure is very helpful, especially if the password has been lost. You will need to reconfigure extender settings after the reset. This can be time-consuming.