How to set scan to email on an HP Officejet 8600 with Office 365
This post covers how the HP Officejet 8600 can be configured to scan directly to email via Office 365.
Generally speaking, it is sometimes better to configure an IIS (or other SMTP) server to function as an internal messaging relay via Office 365 for office-based devices such as scanners and photocopiers, but this is often not feasible, especially in small environments where no server exists.
E-mailing directly from the Officejet is easy to set up and should take only a few minutes to set up.
Setting up scan to email on an HP Officejet 8600
First, ensure your Officejet is connected to your network and has internet access. You then need to figure out if the printer has an IP address; you can do that by doing the following:
Go to “Setup” and then “Network” from the Printer Touch Screen main menu, then go to “View Network Summary,” choose “View Wired” or “View Wireless” depending on how you connect the printer to your network and the IP address will be displayed on the screen. Take an IP adress note.
Browse to your printer’s IP address from a device connecting to the same network and you’ll be confronted with the embedded web server management program Officejet 8600.
Choose search from tabs at the top of the menu:
- To set up direct email from Office 365, click the Officejet 8600 scan menu
- Choose “Scan to E-Mail Configuration” and then “Outgoing Email Profiles” from the search settings page:
- Setting up the Officejet 8600 Outgoing e-mail profile to work with Office 365
- Fromthe profiles page of Outgoing E-Mail, select New:
Officejet 8600 Contact Profiles Outgoing
Enter the account email address from which you’ll be sending messages. In your tennat this must be a valid Office 365 user. As you can see I created a dedicated account called “Message. Relay,” but it will work with any active account.
Enter the account show name; I called my “Office 365.”
Step 1 Officejet 8600 Email Profile Setup
To proceed to step 2 press next.
On Step 2 do the following things:
- Put “smtp.office365.com” in SMTP Server
- In port SMTP type “587”
- Tick the box that says “Please using secure (SSL / TLS) connections”
- Tick the box that says “SMTP server needs authentication for e-mail messages outgoing”
- Enter the Office 365 account email address that you will be using to send messages from the Officejet
- Enter the password you’ll be using for the Office 365 account.
Step 2 : Officejet 8600 Email Profile Setup
Next click to proceed to step 3 of 5
This screen gives you the opportunity to specify a pin to avoid unauthorized access to the email scanning function, so I didn’t want or need to set it up so just press next.
Step 4 of 5 asks you to specify the maximum size and default CC options for the message. Since the default maximum message size in Office 365 is 25Mb, I decided to set this to 20Mb so there’s a bit of margin available.
I decided not to accept the message with an automatic CC.
Step 4 of Officejet 8600 Email Profile Setup
- Click next to move to the summary screen of step 5 of email setup:
- HP Officejet 8600 Setup Email Profile-Step 5 Summary
- To make sure all your settings are right, click on “Save and Check” Hopefully this is what you will see:
- Officejet 8600 Checking of outgoing e-mail profiles
This is it! You can now search your Officejet Pro 8600 directly to email via Office 365.