Email and Messaging
Service Owner: Andrew Johnson
Our O365 service will only work with email clients that can support modern authentication starting January 2021.
The Division of Information Technology (DoIT), at NIU, provides email, calendaring, and messaging software for current students, faculty, staff, and alumni. Retirees, alumni, and other university affiliates have access to email and email forwarding options.
Email: Office 365
Faculty, staff, and students can have a Microsoft Office 365 email account. These features include:
- Email is accessible via Outlook, Outlook on the Web, Outlook on Android, Outlook on iOS, and Outlook on Android.
- Calendars are available for individuals and resources. They can be shared and moderated by other people.
- Microsoft Office apps for personal and professional use, including Word, Excel PowerPoint, Outlook, and many other applications.
- OneDrive Business allows you to store individual files online. These files can be shared and edited using Microsoft Office Online.
- Spam protection via Exchange Online Protection or individual filter.
- Microsoft Teams to have online audio and video conversations with individuals and groups.
Alumni and Retirees
- Once a retirement date has been set, retiree accounts can be requested. To receive full email/calendaring access, retired persons must join the Annuitants Association. Retirees can also opt for an email forwarding service that is branded by niu.edu.
- Members of the NIU Alumni Society can request an email forwarding service branded niu.edu by emailing email@example.com
An email alias is used for NIU email addresses. You can change and update this email address, but it cannot be used again or recovered for one year. All incoming emails from your old alias will be delivered, and they cannot be recovered by any means.
NIU email users are encouraged to create their own distribution lists with Microsoft O365 Teams or Groups.
Submitting news and events is a great way to communicate with the campus.
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org to submit news and program information.
- Send events and deadlines via the NIU Calendar.
If you need to email a large number of recipients beyond your own division, request a mass mail from NIU’s Division for Enrollment Management and Marketing. If you comply with the Mass Electronic Communications Authorization and Distribution Procedures, you can email recipients within your Division.
Safety Notification (Text).
NIU’s Department of Police and Public Safety uses an alert system to send NIU students, staff, and faculty text messages.