Netgear Orbi was created for those who desire a strong, steady wireless signal in every room of their home. It is very reliable and users are satisfied. Like any other device, however, there are some issues that the Orbi WiFi Mesh System can encounter. It is very stressful to experience problems with your internet connection.
Orbi Flashing white light: Meaning
If you can see the router ring pulsing in white, it means that either the router is starting to boot or the Sync button was pressed.
If you notice a pulsing white light, it is either indicating that your satellite is trying to sync with the router or that it is starting to boot.
As you can see, there’s nothing unusual about this behavior. However, this white blinking light shouldn’t last for too long. The problem occurs when the white light flashes continuously and won’t stop. We must do something to fix it. Here are some of the most commonly used solutions.
How to Fix the Orbi Flashing White Light
Here are some tried solutions that will help you resolve the Orbi flashing red light problem.
Restart Your Orbi Network
We recommend that you restart your Orbi network. A software problem could be the cause of the problem, so it is worth restarting the Orbi network.
To properly restart your Orbi Network, please pay attention to the following steps.
- Turn off the modem
- Unplug the modem’s power source.
- Turn off the router
- Connect the modem and the power source
- The modem should be turned on. Give the modem some time to fully boot up.
- Turn on the router and allow it to start up for 2-3 minutes.
After restarting the network, the blinking white light should go out. If the blinking light continues, go to the next step.
Create a new password for backhaul and re-synchronize
You will need to log in to Orbi router to create a new password for your backhaul. If you are wondering what is a “backhaul password” exactly, it is actually a password or a security key that makes the communication between the main router and the satellites possible.
Although it is simple to generate a new password backhaul, you will need to be able to do so. Log in to your Orbi router First, set up the settings. You must also remember that after you generate the signal, the router and satellites need to be synced again. Here are the steps:
- Log in to the Orbi router. If you’re not sure how to access the settings of your Orbi router, our guide will help you.
- You can see the Basic Home PageClick on ADVANCEDYou can find the menu.
- Click here now Advanced SetupSelect Wireless Settings
- Click on the Generate button to continue Backhaul Password section.
- A new password for the backhaul has been generated.
- Use this new backhaul password to sync your router and satellites.
After you finish this process, there is a high chance that your Orbi router’s white light will stop blinking. You can always try the next solution if the problem persists.
Upgrade the Firmware if necessary
Some users claim that the router’s white blinking light stopped flashing after the firmware was updated. Although most ISP’s today automatically push firmware upgrades whenever a new version is released, it is not a bad idea to check whether your Orbi router is having the latest firmware installed. You should make sure that the firmware is up-to-date to protect your router from online threats. In some cases, this can also bring performance improvements.
If you decide to upgrade the router firmware we have to tell you that the upgrade process mustn’t be interrupted or it may result in a damaged router.
Follow these steps to upgrade your router firmware using the Orbi admin dashboard.
- Log in to the Orbi router admin Dashboard.
- Now, click on Advanced in your menu.
- Select Administration
- Next, click Firmware update and then Online update.
- Click on the Check button to check if a new firmware is available.
- You can click on Update All to update any existing one.
- Give it some time for the firmware upgrade to complete and during that time don’t touch anything – don’t turn off the router or your device, don’t open other tabs to continue browsing, don’t close the browser. You can wait for the firmware update to finish.
- It is time to end. The Orbi router, satellites and computer should restart. When they start up again, they will have the updated firmware installed.
Reset your Orbi Router to Factory Settings
Sometimes, whatever you do doesn’t bring results. We need to reset router settings to factory defaults in such cases. The white light will cease blinking and hopefully the issue will be resolved. However, there is one thing you need to know – Once the factory reset is completed, you will need again to set the network up because all your settings will have been erased. You can proceed if you’re okay with this.
It’s not difficult to reset your Orbi router to factory settings. It is important that you know your default login details so you can set up the router once the process is completed.
- You must turn on the Orbi device.
- Find the Reset button by using a pen or similar object to push it.
- Press the button and hold it until the Orbi’s Power LED starts blinking amber. This means that the factory reset process is now underway.
- Take your time and then you can start up again.
- Repeat this for all satellites. When the factory reset starts, the LED ring will turn orange.
Once all devices are back to factory settings you will need to set up the network again and resynchronize the satellites and router.
We hope that one of these solutions has helped you resolve the Orbi flashing white lights issue. If the white blinking light continues to appear after you have tried all possible solutions, please contact your ISP. They can check your line and do some remote testing in order to figure out what’s causing the problem. It’s possible they can fix it for your or guide you through all the steps. Eventually, if the remote assistance doesn’t give results, they can send a technician to check what’s going on. Maybe you are dealing with a faulty router or there is something else they couldn’t determine remotely. This will help you to fix the problem.