If you’re having problems with your existing modem, upgrading to a better one is always a good idea. If you’ve found this page, you’re probably wondering if you should upgrade the firmware on your VerizonDSL modem.
These are two distinct concepts. A modem update can refer to the purchase of a newer model. While firmware upgrades might refer to merely updating your firmware to a newer version, they can also refer to the purchase of a modem. Don’t worry, firmware updates are carried out automatically. Let’s take a closer look at modem improvements.
DSL vs. Cable Difference
It’s crucial to understand the distinctions between DSL and cable internet service providers before upgrading your modem. The first distinction is that they do not share modems. Cable ISPs utilise modems, while DSL providers use DSL modems.
The only difference is that they are not wired in the same way. Telephone lines can link DSL modems to an ISP. Coaxial cable links the cable modem to the ISP. Analog signals in various frequency bands are carried via these wires.
So, if you’re wanting to upgrade your Verizon DSL modem, you’ll want to check out which modems are Verizon DSL compatible.
Verizon FiOS vs Verizon DSL
There’s another thing that should be discussed. Verizon offers two services: Verizon DSL, and Verizon FiOS. These services differ greatly in terms of speed and transmission. So, what’s the difference between these two?
FiOS (Fiber Optic Service), is the current highest level of broadband technology we have. Because it uses glass and plastic rather than copper, data travels faster. The current maximum transmission rate is 1Gbps.
- Verizon Fios Router Blinking White (How To Troubleshoot)
- Verizon Fios WAN light off: Why and how to fix it?
- Red Globe On Verizon Router: What It Is & How To Fix It
- Login to ADSL Router [A Detailed Guide]
Instead of being transmitted as electricity, signals are transmitted as light. This makes it much quicker to get to your destination. Fiber optic internet access also offers fast upload and download speeds.
Verizon’s DSL (Digital Subscriber Line).It uses copper telephone lines to establish a connection. Speed is also limited because the frequencies at which signals can move are limited.
A portion of the frequency spectrum must be used to upload speed and another part for downloading speed. DSL has two options.
- Symmetric digital subscriber lines: A symmetric digital subscriber line offers matching upload and download speeds. It’s usually used by smaller businesses as they provide services and need both speeds to be equal.
- Digital subscriber line with an Asymmetrical SubscriberAsymmetric digital subscribers use a greater frequency range to download and a smaller frequency range to upload. It’s a good choice for home subscribers.
DSL has the significant drawback of being slower than cable or fiber-optic internet connectivity. However, having internet connectivity over telephone lines has the advantage of being available in rural locations.
DSL already has a strong infrastructure due to the availability of telephone lines almost everywhere. Fiber-optic internet, however, is more common than DSL because it is more expensive and takes longer to install.
Upgrading Verizon DSL Modem
Now that you know the difference between these two Verizon services, and if you’re using the latter, we can discuss upgrading your Verizon DSL modem. The firmware updates are automatic, as we have already mentioned.
If you are looking to upgrade your modem to a newer model, compatibility is a must. Verizon offers a variety of compatible modems, so it’s worth contacting them to find out what they recommend. These are the ones that will fit.
Verizon Westell 7500 DSL Modem
Verizon Westell 7500 modem DSL modem allows for both wired connections and wireless connections. The modem will deliver the speed of your DSL subscription, while wireless connections use only the 2.4GHz frequency band and can reach speeds of up to 54Mbps.
Verizon HSI Gateway
This is probably a more suitable alternative to the one before it. It supports several ADSL (Asymmetric Digital Subscriber Line), standards and wireless speeds up to 300Mbps via the 802.11n specification.
Actiontec Verizon Gateway
Actiontec is very similar to the original. It can support advanced ADSL standards but only the 802.11b/802.1g wireless standards. The fastest wireless speed will be 54Mbps.
What if you have a different modem?
Different modems can be used than the ones offered by Verizon. Make sure they’re DSL modems and not cable modems. To give you a better idea of what you should look for, we’ve provided a couple of recommendations:
- Netgear DSL gatewaysSpecifically, the Netgear D7000. This gateway is among the fastest DSL networks. You also have wireless access to both 5GHz and 2.4GHz.
- Motorola DSL gateways: If you’re interested in a particular Motorola DSL gateway, we recommend the MD1600. It supports up to 100Mbps, and you’ll get access to 2.4GHz and 5GHz Wi-Fi.
- Linksys DSL gateways: All Linksys DSL Gateways support the ADSL2+ standard. Many of them support wireless access via both frequency bands.
- TP-Link DSL gateways: It’s also a great option because these also support the ADSL2+ standard for digital subscriber lines. They all work with Verizon DSL and can be considered when you upgrade your modem.
It can be found. Examine your Verizon DSL Modem for compatibility and functionality, and consider upgrading it. Ensure you’re looking at DSL modems rather than cable modems. If you have FiOS, seek for routers that are compatible with it. It’s also a good idea to get advice from Verizon customer support.