Xfinity strives to be one of the top ISPs (Internet Service Providers). The latest Xfinity routers and gateways come in a very slick design, and we’re not exactly used to these smooth-looking devices.
Because of that, it’s hard to find the Xfinity router WPS button. That’s why this article discusses Wi-Fi Protected Setup, its advantages and disadvantages, its settings, WPS setup, and WPS button location on Xfinity routers.
What is WPS?
WPS is a feature many routers have, and it’s used to establish a wireless connection between a router and a device easily. You can either push a button, or use a PIN (Personal Information Number).
What WPS does is creates all the settings automatically, such as encryption, communication protocols, and device configuration so that it’s ready to use, and we have wireless communication between the router and the printer, scanner, IP camera, etc.
Pros and cons of Wi-Fi Protected Settingup
WPS offers many benefits and drawbacks. WPS offers many benefits, such as the ease-of-use and connection. However, security is one of the main disadvantages. To connect, you just need to push the button on your router. There are also pros and cons.
Other pros than automatic configuration of the network name, and the security key that connects WPS-enabled devices into the network, include:
- There’s no need to know the password and the SSID (Service Set Identifier), the network name.
- It’s pretty secure because it’s a one-time use, and the password gets generated for that one time randomly. This applies to Push-button Configuration (PBC), not the PIN Mode.
- WPS is supported on many devices.
WPS cons refer to other issues than security concerns about brute-force attacks via PIN mode.
- WPS is required for all devices connected to the network to enable the feature.
- We need to connect to the Wi-Fi traditionally if we don’t have a WPS-enabled device.
- Any person who’s in your home and has a WPS-enabled device can easily connect to your network with a push of a button. You can be very dangerous if the person is malicious.
Xfinity Router Status
Like many routers in the world, Xfinity routers can have different statuses based on light activity. So, let’s review these basic signals so we may know what’s going on with the router. When there’s no light,It means: The router is off.
When the light is on Steady whiteIt is the same as “The”. Router is operational. When the Xfinity Blinking white light during the activation of the router, this means that it’s in Limited operation. Follow the setup guide.
When there’s a Steady red light, there’s no internet connectionon the router. If we see a blue blinking lightThis means that the WPS modeactivated. Any other color means that it’s probably connecting to the Xfinity server.
Xfinity Router WPS Button Settings
We need to know the basics of both ways Wi-Fi Protected Setup can be activated. The WPS button is the first, while the WPS pin is the second. To set up the WPS button mode, log in to the Xfinity router setting.
Click the WPS button
There are three types of gateways Xfinity offers, each with buttons at different places. It’s all about the slick design we were talking about. That’s what makes the buttons difficult to locate.
WPS wireless gateway Xfinity
The location of the WPS button is easy to find on the Xfinity wireless router. It’s on top of the gateway, and it says WPS actually, so you can easily find it and activate the feature. The light will continue blinking when we press the button until we connect the second device. Once it stops, this means it’s connected.
Xfinity xFi advanced gateway WPS
The Xfinity advanced gateway WPS button is on the left of the “Xfinity” logo. Once we push the button, there’s going to be a blue light that blinks and it means that we need to push the button on the other WPS-enabled device to let them pair up. Once they have connected, the light will turn white.
Xfinity xFi gateway 3rd Generation WPS
The xFi gateway 3rd generation has a rather difficult button to locate, but it’s the one on the back of the router. It’s the one that has two arrows pointing at each other. When we push that button, the blue light starts blinking, and once the other device connects to the gateway, the light becomes white, so it’s successfully paired.
Setup WPS PIN
You can also use WPS with a PIN. But, before you can use it that way, we need to set it all up. We need to follow these steps in order to set-up the Xfinity gateway for WPS using a PIN.
- You must first be able toCreate a PINOn the WPS-enabled device by using the WPS utility.
- The Wi-FiSo that the WPS can be set up, it must be on.
- You will need to enter Web interfaceBefore you install the gateway.
- Log in to go to Gateway.
- Then, you can choose ConnectivityClick on, then. Wi-Fi.
- There’s a Wi-Fi pageClick on to continue Add Wi-Fi Protected Setup client.
- WPS must be disabled and enabled. Connectivity OptionsYou need to choose PIN.
- Please enter the Generator generated PINClick here PAIR. These devices must be connected.
Now you understand what WPS does and how to configure the pin connection mode. Also, now we understand the different Xfinity router statuses, and it’s easier for us to know when the devices are connected.
There are many Xfinity router WPS button locations for different gateway models. If you know where they’re located, you can easily use them. If you’re still having trouble with the WPS button and configuration, contact Xfinity’s support team, they might help.